Alumni & Giving
With nearly 6,000 CSU graduates from the Department of Journalism and Media Communication, there are JMC alumni in communications jobs across the nation and the world. From the editorial desk of The New York Times to the broadcast studio of CBS, our graduates work in virtually every conceivable career tied to journalism, media, and communication.
First Destination Success
The Department of Journalism and Media communication has one of the highest job placement rates in the College of Liberal Arts, with an average of 86% of recent graduates having plans secured within 6 months of graduation. Of those alumni, 75% join the workforce while the other 25% choose to continue their education by attending graduate school.
Our alumni are prolific authors, publishing books ranging in genre. The skills learned in the journalism program allow our graduates to tell a well-researched, compelling story. Recent books published by journalism alumni include:
- Pandemic, Inc.: Chasing the Capitalists and Thieves Who Got Rich While We Got Sick by J.David McSwane (B.A. ’10)
- Searching for Mom: A Memoir by Sara Easterly (B.A. ’94)
- Flat Spin by David Freed (B.A. ’76)
Stay Connected and Get Involved
Volunteer Your Time
Alumni are critical to the mission of the department. There are a handful of ways our alumni give their time to students:
- Guest speaker for a class
- Participate in an alumni panel or other event
- Serve on the committee for capstone portfolio reviews
- Offer an internship
- Develop case studies or project challenges for students
Please contact our office if you’re interested in volunteering your time.
Share Your Story
We’re a department of storytellers. Let us know what you’re doing with your JMC degree so we can share it with our current and prospective students.
Join the Alumni Association
Join the broader CSU alumni network by becoming a member of the Alumni Association.
Make a Gift to Journalism and Media Communication
If you are interested in supporting the advancement of CSU’s journalism and media communication department, please consider making a gift. Your support transforms our students’ experiences, funds faculty research and scholarship, and supports the future of our programs.