Scholarships in Journalism and Media Communication
The department of Journalism and Media Communication is unique in the College of Liberal Arts in that students who wish to be considered for any JMC scholarship must complete the general Colorado State University Scholarship Application (CSUSA) and the Journalism and Media Communication Conditional Application. The JMC Conditional Application simplifies the scholarship application process for JMC majors. Instead of having to submit a cover letter and resume for every JMC scholarship you apply to, you will only do this once through the conditional application.
The department of Journalism and Media Communication oversees a dozen scholarships, including some that go to multiple recipients.
General "Auto Match" Scholarships
These are given based on common criteria of GPA and accomplishments in journalism and media communication. You are automatically matched to these scholarships upon completing both the general CSUSA and the JMC Conditional Application.
Specific Apply-to Scholarships
These are given based on the general criteria plus special criteria that are unique to each award. Once you complete both the general CSUSA and the JMC Conditional Application, you will directly apply to these scholarships.
All scholarship applications and selections occur through the University's online scholarship portal, AcademicWorks. Scholarship amounts vary and are not made available until late spring through AcademicWorks.
The material below organizes the awards by these categories, provides background on the origins of the scholarships, and presents criteria for application and consideration. An overview of the awards available through JMC is also under Liberal Arts Scholarships.
How to Apply for JMC Scholarships
1. Complete and submit the general CSUSA.
2. Complete and submit the JMC Conditional Application, which has three components: upload a résumé, upload a cover letter, and select two to three areas of career emphasis that interest you most.
3. If you wish to be considered for any of the Specific Apply-to Scholarships, apply to that scholarship directly by answering any additional questions.
There are no standard formatting requirements for the résumé. It should reflect your major accomplishments and should be a professionally prepared document. To submit your résumé, save it as a PDF and upload it in AcademicWorks.
Cover Letter Instructions
The cover letter must follow specific formatting requirements.
1. Address your letter to the Scholarships and Awards Committee, Department of Journalism and Media Communication, Colorado State University.
2. At the top of the letter, list all of the Specific Apply-to Scholarships you are applying for.
3. In the body of the letter, provide some background on yourself and your major accomplishments, reflections on your studies, a description of your career goals, and a statement on why you feel you should be considered for a scholarship.
4. The clarity and readability of your cover letter matters. It is recommended that you allow sufficient time in advance for this writing and that your use the guide provided here to organize your thoughts. The committee prefers that you use 12-point Times New Roman typeface and 1-inch margins in your document. The letter must not exceed two pages.
5. Save as PDF and upload through AcademicWorks.
The deadline to apply for scholarships is March 1, 2017.
Department scholarships are awarded in spring for the next academic year. For a full list of available scholarships, as well as information on application procedures and eligibility, see the College of Liberal Arts Scholarships.