Scholarships in Journalism and Media Communication
Each year in spring the Department of Journalism and Media Communication awards more than $22,000 in scholarships to returning students. Available scholarships are listed here.
The scholarship application period is December 1 through March 1 of every year. Access to the online application is available through your RAMweb account.
- To be eligible to win a scholarship, students are required to submit a cover letter and resume along with their general Colorado State University Scholarship Application. Instructions on writing and submitting these required documents are provided below. Please note: you may also be required to submit additional information, such as a short essay, if you seek an "apply-to" scholarship.
- Scholarships are announced in April. Amounts vary. Recipient acceptance and submission of a donor thank you letter through AcademicWorks are required. The Office of Financial Aid deposits scholarship earnings in student accounts at the beginning of fall semester, sometimes earlier.
- In order to receive your funding, you must continue to meet all criteria over the duration of your scholarship.
How to Apply
- Complete and submit the general CSUSA. Instructions for working in AcademicWorks are available on the College of Liberal Arts scholarship page.
- Complete and submit the JMC "Conditional Application," which has three components: upload a resume; upload a cover letter; and select two to three areas of career emphasis that interest you most.
- If you wish to be considered for any of the specific Apply-to Scholarships, you will have to apply to that scholarship directly by answering any additional questions.
NOTE: Resume and cover letters can only be uploaded as PDF documents.
There are no standard formatting requirements for the resume. The resume should reflect your major accomplishments and should be a professionally prepared document. To submit your resume you must save it as a PDF document and upload it in AcademicWorks as instructed there.
Cover Letter Instructions
The cover letter must follow specific formatting requirements.
1) Address your letter to the Scholarships and Awards Committee, Department of Journalism and Media Communication, Colorado State University.
2) At the top of the cover letter list any of the specific Apply-To Scholarships you are applying for.
3) In the body of the letter provide some background on yourself and your major accomplishments, reflections on your studies, a description of your career goals, and a statement on why you think you should be considered for a scholarship.
4) The clarity and readability of your cover letter matters. It is recommended that some time in advance be given to this writing and that the guide provided here be used to organize your thoughts. Also, the committee will prefer that you use the common Times Roman typeface at 12 points and that your document have 1-inch margins. The letter must not exceed two pages.
- Criteria for all JMC scholarships can be viewed on the College of Liberal Arts scholarship webpage.
Scholarships fall into two categories: Automatch and Apply-To.
Automatch scholarships are given based on common criteria of GPA and accomplishments in journalism and media communication. JMC majors who submit their application materials will be automatically considered for these scholarships.
- Cecil B. Neth Memorial Scholarship
- Clark/Eynon Scholarship
- Clyde E. Moffitt Memorial Scholarship
- David and Elizabeth Freed Print and Digital Journalism Scholarship
- Isabelle Arnold Journalism Scholarship
- Journalism/Media Communication Faculty Scholarship
- Lois Hunziker Memorial Journalism Scholarship
Apply-To scholarships are given based on the general criteria plus special criteria that are unique to each scholarship. For instance, you may be required to answer a yes/no question or demonstrate your eligibility through a short answer or essay. To be considered for these scholarships you have to apply to them in AcademicWorks.
- Bob Peck Memorial Scholarship
- Carry Griffin and Tom Suber Public Relations Scholarship
- CSU Television Alumni Scholarship
- Joseph and Erin Conrad Social Impact Scholarship
- Public Relations Alumni-Student Scholarship
- Rebecca Allen Memorial Scholarship
- Rowene C. Danbom Memorial Scholarship
- Science/Technology Communication Scholarship