Graduate Letter Guide
Guidelines for Graduate Letters of Recommendation
Thank you for your willingness to write a letter of recommendation on behalf of an applicant to the Department of Journalism and Technical Communication’s graduate degree program.
Our graduate committee will evaluate candidates on a number of criteria, including your letter. We are especially interested in your assessment of the applicant’s potential for completing either our M.S. degree in Technical Communication or our Ph.D. in Public Communication & Technology.
Ph.D. students only: Letters from thesis advisers or major professors are especially important. Letters should address the applicant’s ability to successfully pursue doctoral studies as well as a scholarly career in teaching and research or research management.
Please indicate the following in your letter:
- Which degree the applicant is pursuing (M.S. or Ph.D.)
- How long have you known the applicant, in what capacity and against what group you are rating the applicant.
- Your assessment of the applicant’s:
- Likelihood of successfully completing the program
- Overall problem solving abilities
- Ability to work independently
- Writing skills
- Oral communication skills
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Any other observations you may have regarding the applicant’s character, ability, and potential.
Mail your letter to:
Linda Kidder, Graduate Program Administrator
Department of Journalism and Technical Communication
Campus Delivery 1785 Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1785 USA