Applying to the Ph.D. Program
Newly admitted students begin the program in the fall semester. Admissions are competitive. For full consideration, all application materials should be submitted using the online application by January 15.
The department follows the university requirements for admission to the Ph.D. in Public Communication and Technology program. Applicants are required to hold at least a 3.0 GPA for their previous undergraduate/master’s degree work. Applicants who do not meet this requirement should write an explanation where requested on the application.
Visit our online application to apply. Be sure to select our official program name, Public Communication and Technology (Ph.D.) from the list of degrees available at CSU.
Submit Application Materials
After submitting your online application and paying your application fee, begin submitting your supporting materials to complete your application.
• Upload supporting documents directly to your application.
• Contact your previous institutions to request they submit official transcripts to Colorado State University (institution code 4075).
• To submit test scores, contact the testing agency to request that scores be sent to Colorado State University (institution code 4075).
• For any documents that cannot be uploaded, submit paper copies directly to the Office of Admissions:
Colorado State University – Office of Admissions
1062 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1062
Some important pointers about your application:
• Statement of Purpose: Indicate your career goals and scholarly interests. Be sure to describe how our Ph.D. program and faculty will allow you to accomplish these goals. Note: Applicants can read more about preparing their Statement of Purpose in Frequently Asked Questions.
• Resume or curriculum vitae (CV): Be sure to show dates and details of professional and academic experience.
• Writing Samples: Three examples of relevant scholarly or professional writing in English. These writing samples should demonstrate your ability to conduct original research and write cogently about communication issues. Examples include: academic journal articles, thesis chapters, conference papers, and scholarly papers from classes. Do not send originals, as they cannot be returned. Note: Applicants can read more about preparing their writing samples in Frequently Asked Questions.
• Recommendation Letters: We require letters from three individuals who can speak to your potential for success in our Ph.D. program. These letters preferably should be written by your thesis adviser or by major professors in your master’s program, and they should describe your ability to complete graduate study at the Ph.D. level (not merely attest to your character). The online application will prompt your reviewers to submit the letters of recommendation, but you should contact your reviewers in advance and provide each individual with a copy of the guidelines for preparing letters of recommendation. You also should later confirm with the individual that the letter of recommendation was submitted.
• Transcripts: Submit official transcripts from all collegiate work completed. This includes institutions where coursework was taken but no formal degree was granted (e.g., community colleges, transfer schools). Note: Submitting transcripts from coursework completed at Colorado State University is not required.
U.S. applicants: Submit one transcript from each university attended.
International applicants: Submit two transcripts from each university attended along with a certified translation into English, if applicable.
• Standardized Test Scores
GRE Scores: U.S. and international applicants are required to submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. Ask ETS to send your GRE scores to Colorado State University. Our institution code is 4075, and our department code is 4503.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores (international applicants only): Have ETS send your TOEFL or IELTS scores and your TWE, if available. Our institution code is 4075, and our department code is 4503. Note: Students are exempted from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement if the official language of their country is English or if they have recently earned a degree from an American university.
Check Your Application Status
View the status of your application at any time to ensure your application checklist is complete or check on updates.